Thursday, September 20, 2007

Robert Jordan died

Robert Jordan is the author of the Wheel of Time fantasy series. Unfortunately, he passed away before finishing book 12 of the series, which was to be the final one.

Mom bought me the paperback book of the first novel, "Wheel of Time" one year for Christmas. I'm a hard person to buy books for (or at least I used to be), as I was quite the prolific reader, plus I'm pretty picky about my fantasy books.

But I enjoyed this book right away. She made a great choice. The series follows 5 main characters, all from the same small town. There are 3 men - Rand, Matt and Perrin and 2 women, Elaine and Neayve (hmm, is that her name, it's been a while since I read book 11). More characters were added as they went on their adventures, making the novels more complex, with many many sub-plots.

I'll admit some novels dragged as there were so many sub-plots, the story would only be advanced about a week. It's also difficult in fantasy to be unique, as Tolkien really defined the genre and writers tend to follow his template. i.e. Fantasy is almost always set with Middle Ages technology, magic, devil/evil is locked in the mountain but is slowly escaping, elves, dwarves, etc. But this series had some real plot twists that I enjoyed. I think my favorite book was when Elaine was held captive with the collar around her neck, so that she could not control her own magic, and was a slave to her master.

Mr. Jordan, I really enjoyed your series. Thank you.

No comments: