Sunday, September 2, 2007

Book Review: The Speed of Trust


I bought this book thinking it was written by Stephen Covey of "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" fame. It's not, it's written by his son (which if you read the cover carefully, you'll see).

The book is not that great. Trust is defined as character and competence. And then he manages to write 300 pages about it. You just really need to read the first chapter to get the point and then the rest is common sense.

As per the Covey style, it is a lot of leadership quotes, personal stories (which he even borrowed one from his Dad's book and did retell one story a couple of times). It is easy to read, but it is a bit much when he comes up with 13 different elements of trust. But I guess brevity does not sell business books.

I've worked in organizations and with people with high trust and low trust. Obviously, high trust is a much more enjoyable experience. Low trust does breed almost game playing, which unless you are on Survivor, isn't that much fun. Luckily, my close personal relationships (i.e. my family) are extremely high trust relationships, which I guess has made me to be higher on the trust side, as opposed to on the lower side.

What I'd really like to know is why the author isn't running Franklin Covey anymore. That book would be an interesting read.

No comments: