Saturday, September 22, 2007

Movie Review: Dreamgirls

Since TV is lacking a bit here, even though we have 3 HBO channels, Joe and I bought some movies on Friday. I bought Dreamgirls and Walk the Line and Joe bought Hannibal and The Omen. If we put the movies together we'd have a very scary musical.
Movies are pretty cheap here as you can buy VCDs which are video CDs. They don't have the features of the DVD, but really, are you going to play a game with The Omen (hmm, maybe that's not a bad idea)? The advantage is they are cheaper (usually around $15 for a new movie) and you can easily copy it onto a computer (great for our media computer / TV).
Dreamgirls was pretty good. The music is fun. It was a Broadway play they adapted for the movies. I find that doesn't always translate well, and there were times when I was watching that I was thinking, this would work better on stage. Particularly when the characters are talking and then start singing. It always reminds me of the time I saw Miss Saigon with Lana and she was making fun of the musical (I think that one had no talking, so they would sing "hello").
The storyline is interesting and it is definitely well acted and well sung. However, it was kind of odd to hear at the beginning of the movie them refer to the Beyonce character as "not that strong of a singer".
I'd recommend it, but only for those that like musicals. If not, stay far far away.

No comments: