Thursday, August 2, 2007

All about August 2, 1969

On August 2, 1969:
  • President Nixon visited Romania
  • Bob Dylan makes surprise appearance at Hibbing HS Minnesota 10th reunion
  • The Grateful Dead play live at Family Dog at the Great Highway (whatever that means)
but I know two people who weren't able to make it to the concerts, or to Romania with President Nixon.

Garry and Sandra were too busy tying the knot in Williamstown, Ontario.

Garry, a tall lanky fellow from Saskatchewan, with Buddy Holly glasses, but none of the coolness, met Sandra, a pretty nurse in training in Ontario, when he was in Ontario as part of belonging to the Armed Forces. I don't know much about their dating history, except their first double date wasn't with each other!


Both are from farming families. Garry's family were prairie farmers, and Sandra's family were more dairy farmers. Apparently when Garry's dad saw Sandra's family farm, he exclaimed "I couldn't even turn my tractor around on it!". Ahh, but Sandra's family farm had something that Garry's didn't. Maple sugar trees. Mmmm, maple syrup.

For their honeymoon, they took a cruise down the St. Lawrence. Ahh, young romance, what could be better. I know - staying married for (wait, I need the calculator) 38 years!!! That's almost as long as Paulina's been alive (tee hee!). And thanks to their positive role model of a marriage (as well as Joe's parents for being married over 40 years), the chance of me getting a divorce is statistically decreased. Thanks!!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw shucks . . .
At least I got new glasses and gray hair and grandchildren to keep me young
Dad

Joe Expat said...

Nice blog, Jill. I hope I get one as nice on my birthday.

Happy 38th Anniversary Garry and Sandra!

Joe.

Paulina said...

Happy Anniversary, Garry and Sandra! I wish you many more years of happiness.

Yes, that's right, Jill ... I'm *almost* that old. ;-)