Yes, I realize its a day late, we went to Saskatchewan for the weekend to see Grandpa.
My update, about 90 minutes of cross-stitch.
I wanted to write about Grandpa. He started cross-stitching in the early 1980's when Grandma got sick. Grandma wanted to have something beautiful to look at, and she probably wanted to keep him occupied when he visited. He ended up making this large poppy cross-stitch, and stitched on all the names of those who helped her in the hospital and he gave it to the hospital after she passed away.
Grandpa continued stitching, stitching as much as 10 hours a day. He started to slow down in his 80s to 5 hours a day, and now he is down to 3 hours a day. He's made wedding samplers for all the grandchildren on both sides (he remarried, so that's the "other side). And then birth samplers for all his grandchildren, and probably anyone who has crossed his path and had a baby.
He doesn't shy away from the difficult patterns. He has made the Teresa Welzer Peacock pattern and has done patterns with beads (those who have done them, know what a pain they are).
His stitching is beautiful. He sits by the window in his bedroom to do it. Last year, Mom and Dad bought him an Ott-Light, after hearing me rave about it (who learned about it from Paulina), which he finds useful also. He also works on a frame (so that's obviously the right way to do it!).
He signs all his works with "P.W. Lastname". I wish I would do that, but I feel like I "wreck" the picture, even though I love it when he does it.
I hope I'm stitch 3 hours a day when I'm 94.
My update, about 90 minutes of cross-stitch.
I wanted to write about Grandpa. He started cross-stitching in the early 1980's when Grandma got sick. Grandma wanted to have something beautiful to look at, and she probably wanted to keep him occupied when he visited. He ended up making this large poppy cross-stitch, and stitched on all the names of those who helped her in the hospital and he gave it to the hospital after she passed away.
Grandpa continued stitching, stitching as much as 10 hours a day. He started to slow down in his 80s to 5 hours a day, and now he is down to 3 hours a day. He's made wedding samplers for all the grandchildren on both sides (he remarried, so that's the "other side). And then birth samplers for all his grandchildren, and probably anyone who has crossed his path and had a baby.
He doesn't shy away from the difficult patterns. He has made the Teresa Welzer Peacock pattern and has done patterns with beads (those who have done them, know what a pain they are).
His stitching is beautiful. He sits by the window in his bedroom to do it. Last year, Mom and Dad bought him an Ott-Light, after hearing me rave about it (who learned about it from Paulina), which he finds useful also. He also works on a frame (so that's obviously the right way to do it!).
He signs all his works with "P.W. Lastname". I wish I would do that, but I feel like I "wreck" the picture, even though I love it when he does it.
I hope I'm stitch 3 hours a day when I'm 94.
No comments:
Post a Comment