Tuesday, January 1, 2008

The first day of the new year

So, 2008 started off as many a non-work day in 2007 went.

Martin woke around 7:00am, full of smiles, he came into bed with us, and Oliver woke around 8:00. We all got up and Joe made us crepes for breakfast.

We then went to the zoo (out of the house by 10:00 - not bad, eh?). Didn't get rained on (which the skies were threatening to do all day, but if you stay home when you think it's going to rain, you'd never do anything). Saw the tortoises, elephants and Oliver played at the splash pad.

We then came home, watched a tape episode of Little Einstein's. Joe put Martin in the baby carrier for a nap and went upstairs to look for mini-vacation ideas to do with my parents. Oliver played with his trains, I pulled out my knitting. Sofya stopped by to see Martin, stayed to play with Oliver, but then wanted to learn to knit. She is a very eager and fast learner.

We then all went outside, Sofya and I bringing our knitting. Oh, and Oliver brought his knitting also, as he wanted to knit too. Then all the kids (which was 3 boys aged 5-7 and 1 girl aged 3) wanted to knit. So I had to go get more needles. The older kids were interested in it, for about 15 minutes, which is 14 more than I thought. Actually, Zach (who is 6) came running up at one point saying "Where's my knitting?", which is a phrase his mother never thought he'd say. Sofya kept at it though, and when one of the adults commented that knitting was boring, she said "Knitting is not boring, it's fun!". So hopefully I have a new convert.

Oliver went swimming in the small pool, I brought Martin in for bed (it's now around 6:30), we had a late dinner of leftovers, and Oliver is now being read stories by Joe (I've done my turn already).

Tonight will be Desperate Housewives and Amazing Race (which I taped yesterday) and knitting. All in all, a good start to the year.

Happy New Year!!! Wishing you must health and happiness!

1 comment:

Paulina said...

Good for you, for getting the kids to start knitting at a young age. Happy New Year!