It's tax time here in Singapore. It's funny as it's a mix of high tech and low tech.
High tech - you can file on line
Low tech - you don't know how much you have to pay until they assess you
Low tech - the Company doesn't submit your tax forms to the government
High tech - you can scan and email your form
There are also some conflicting deductions.
'Wife relief' is a relief to support family formation, and to provide recognition to male taxpayers supporting their wives.
'Working mother's child relief' is to encourage married women to remain in the workforce after having children. Single or male taxpayers are not eligible for this relief.
High tech - you can file on line
Low tech - you don't know how much you have to pay until they assess you
Low tech - the Company doesn't submit your tax forms to the government
High tech - you can scan and email your form
There are also some conflicting deductions.
'Wife relief' is a relief to support family formation, and to provide recognition to male taxpayers supporting their wives.
'Working mother's child relief' is to encourage married women to remain in the workforce after having children. Single or male taxpayers are not eligible for this relief.
So I'm not sure what the government wants. The wife to stay home or the wife to go back to work. I think the working mother's child relief is pretty poor in that single mothers are not elgible (maybe they get some other relief, but I didn't see it). I wish that I could qualify for 'wife relief' as I'm supporting my spouse.
But the tax rate is still much lower than Canada, and the form took all of 15 minutes to fill out, where 10 minutes of it was "where do I see how much I pay?", until I realized they don't show it.
No comments:
Post a Comment