Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Book Review: A Fine Balance

I just finished reading "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry. I purchased it after Lianne had said it was her favorite book ever.

It was an enjoyable, if sad read. It follows the lives of4 people who end up living together for a year. It details their lives before they end up as roommates, and follows the year that they live together. The story takes place in India, during the 1970's in the turmoil after Independence. The four people are the woman who rents the apartment, two tailors who are uncle and nephew to each other, who come to work for her, and a college student, looking for a place to live. There they learn about each other, and break through the caste barriers that have existed for centuries in India.

I've only read one other book that takes place in India, "A Suitable Boy" by Vikram Seth. It's interesting reading novels that take place in other places, as you learn a lot about them. Mind you, most novels I read take place in imaginary worlds, so it does not take much to be different.

I liked "A Fine Balance", but not my favorite book ever. That's probably "The Count of Monte Cristo".

1 comment:

Paulina said...

I loved "A Fine Balance" too, but "A Suitable Boy" is definitely up there on my favourites list. Much easier to read than "War and Peace", which I'm still labouring over.