Thursday, July 5, 2007

Book Review: Siblings without Rivalry

In anticipation of the baby coming, I bought the book "Siblings without Rivalry". I quite enjoyed it.
They draw an interesting analogy of adding a child to the family as adding a spouse to a family. Imagine saying to your spouse "Honey, I love you so much, I decided to get another wife. You'll be best friends and do everything together." Not going to go over so well, I would imagine (unless of course, you are Mormon!).

It also talks about the importance siblings have in forming the person that you are (i.e. you can't blame everything on the mother anymore!). Which is true, and while birth order is often discussed, your relationship with your sibling and how your parents interacted with that relationship is important also.

The book is an easy read, with lots of examples of how to talk to your children, even explained in cartoons, for those who don't want to read the book itself. I think it will be a valuable resource as the children get older.

I mentioned the book to Lana, she doesn't think we fought that much when we were younger. Wonder what Mom's opinion on that is. All I know is that I will buy two yellow cups, instead of just one.

No comments: