Tuesday, July 24, 2007

All about The CIA World Factbook

I don't know if you have ever been to the CIA World Fact book site. It is a fascinating place to go.

They have geographical and economical statistics on all countries of the world, and non-countries, including "The World", the Pacific Ocean and the US Pacific Island Wildlife Refuge (I just learned about that one right now!).

Some interesting facts about The World.
Population is 6.6 bn

The median age is 28.

Life expectancy at birth is 66 years. Compare to Andorra, which is the highest at 83.5.

33% of the world is Christian. 20% is Muslim.

Mandarin is the most widely spoken language at just under 14%,
82% of the population is literate.

Over two-thirds of the world's 785 million illiterate adults are found in only eight countries (India, China, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Indonesia, and Egypt); of all the illiterate adults in the world, two-thirds are women; extremely low literacy rates are concentrated in three regions, South and West Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, and the Arab states, where around one-third of the men and half of all women are illiterate.

GDP per capita is $10,200. Compare to the highest, which is Luxembourg at $71,400 and Malawi and Somalia at $600.

There are 1.2bn line use telephones and 2.2bn cellular phones.

Anyway, I find it a fascinating site. I'm sure Dad does too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The CIA handbook was available as a program I believe way back in the days of the Commodore 64. It has always been a very easy way to get a quick shot of facts on any country that is in the news. Also great way of checking the flag of a country when you are watch football ie soccer
Dad

Anonymous said...

Facts about the CIA World Factbook...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cia_world_factbook

(Wikipedia is great too.)

- KT/Mike/Jordan