I read about this book in the New York Times by Susan Jacoby. She talks about the anti-intellectual, anti-rational movement that there is in the USA. She mentions the rise of fundamental religion as one of the sources. But it's interesting, as the US brought about freedom of religion. But with the freedom of religion, you have to accept all religions, no matter how nutty they are. She spoke about their movement and how creationism and evolution are taught side by side as differing "theories", or else evolution is not taught at all.
Another source is the 1960s as the beginning of the downfall. The problem with the hippie liberals, is that they aren't as organized as the right-wing conservatives, so they don't get their point across as well. But it was also the start of the youth movement, that never ended. All music is defined by what the youth like, as well as clothing. I wear the same types as clothes as someone 20 years younger than I would wear. My niece, Julia and I both shop at the same stores. Is that really right? Shouldn't I grow up and wear grownup clothes, as opposed to be stuck in the illusion of youth?
And of course, she attacked the internet. And you know, she's right. I read a lot less than I used to. I decided to add the Visual Bookshelf on Facebook to see how many books I read this year. I've only finished 7 books this year. 7. I used to read that in a two week period when I was young. Yes, I'm busier now, but I tend to surf instead of read. Plus I craft instead of read. I'm also trying to read books to make me smarter (like this one), but then I don't read, as they are a bit boring. I've been reading "The 10 day MBA" for more than 10 days. I might as well have done it in real time!
Overall, the book was pretty good. But the vocabulary and some of the references were a little too intellectual for me at times. ;-)
Another source is the 1960s as the beginning of the downfall. The problem with the hippie liberals, is that they aren't as organized as the right-wing conservatives, so they don't get their point across as well. But it was also the start of the youth movement, that never ended. All music is defined by what the youth like, as well as clothing. I wear the same types as clothes as someone 20 years younger than I would wear. My niece, Julia and I both shop at the same stores. Is that really right? Shouldn't I grow up and wear grownup clothes, as opposed to be stuck in the illusion of youth?
And of course, she attacked the internet. And you know, she's right. I read a lot less than I used to. I decided to add the Visual Bookshelf on Facebook to see how many books I read this year. I've only finished 7 books this year. 7. I used to read that in a two week period when I was young. Yes, I'm busier now, but I tend to surf instead of read. Plus I craft instead of read. I'm also trying to read books to make me smarter (like this one), but then I don't read, as they are a bit boring. I've been reading "The 10 day MBA" for more than 10 days. I might as well have done it in real time!
Overall, the book was pretty good. But the vocabulary and some of the references were a little too intellectual for me at times. ;-)

No comments:
Post a Comment